Elverum is a town and municipality in Hedmark County, Eastern Norway. It is a part of Østerdalen Region with the town of Hamar to the west, Kongsvinger to the south, and Trysil and the Swedish border to the northeast. It has a population of about 20,800.
Elverum is divided by Norway's largest river, the Glomma. On the eastern shore is the town centre, called
Leiret (see the History section below for more information).
In Leiret there are two shopping centres: the
Amfi Elverum and the
Kremmertorget. Elverum's main street runs between the two shopping centres. Along the main street, you will find street restaurants, coffeehouses and a wide variety of shops.
Activities and attractions (what to see and do)
The Elverum Region offers a wide range of activities and attractions. For more information, please visit the Visit Hedmark website
- The Norwegian Forest Museum is a national museum recognising the importance of forestry, hunting and fishing in Norwegian history and economy. Norwegian Forest Museum – Norwegisches Waldmuseum (English/German brochure)
- The Glomdal Museum. From the eastern side of the Glomma (the Norwegian Forest Museum), a pedestrian bridge across the Klokkerfoss waterfall to Prestøya, and then a bridge across the Prestfossen falls leads to the Glomdal Museum. This is one of Norway's largest outdoor museums, with numerous houses from the mountain parishes of Østerdalen and the lowland districts of Solør on the Glomma river valley. The exhibition includes a library with numerous books, including handwritten medieval manuscripts.
- More information about Elverum can be found at Visit Hedmark's website (external link).
In the Dano-Norwegian period, Elverum was the location for a bailiff (fogd), a judge (sorenskriver), a head pastor (prost), and numerous military officers. It became important as a market town as well.
During the Nordic Seven Years' War (1563–1570), Swedish troops invaded Norway in several places, including a number of incursions into Østerdalen. In 1563, Norwegian troops stopped the Swedish advance at Elverum, which provided a strategic point since it lay on both north-south and east-west trade and travel routes.
In 1570, the Hamar Cathedral in Hamar was burned, and Hamarhus Castle was destroyed by the Swedish army. Hamar lost its town status, leaving no official market towns between Christiania (Oslo) and Trondheim. Eastern Norway needed an organised market for trading goods. The Grundset market (Grundsetmart'n) in Elverum municipality grew to meet the need. The market dates back to the 17th century, and in 1765 the owner of the Gaarder Farm obtained special market privileges from the King. The market was held on his estate six miles north of Elverum centre. By 1767, it was described as Norway's largest and most famous market. For almost 300 years, people from the surrounding districts met to trade and to celebrate. People from Gudbrandsdal, Oslo, Trøndelag, and Sweden also regularly came to Grundsetmart'n. The Grundset market was offically abandoned in 1901.
Construction of the forts started in 1673, during the Gyldenløve War as Hammersberg Skanse (also referred to as Terningen Skanse). The bastion is still preserved today. It was renamed Christiansfjell Fortress in 1685 by King Christian V of Denmark during his visit to Hammersberg Skanse on 14 June. The fortress was manned through the Great Northern War, and the town was spared from major battles. In 1742, the Christiansfjell Fortress was closed.
A Norwegian infantry regiment, the Oppland Regiment, was formed in 1657, and Elverum became a garrison town. The populated area east of the river was named Leiret (literally: the camp). Christiansfjell Fortress was built by soldiers as well as the merchants and craftsmen who settled nearby. Even today, the central areas of Elverum east of the river is still referred to as
In 1878, Terningmoen at Elverum became the home base for the Oppland Regiment, and an infantry school was founded here in 1896.
The Oppland Regiment had a history that included courageous involvement in combat from the Swedish wars in the 17th century, to the German invasion of Norway in 1940. As part of the general restructuring, the unit was disbanded in 2002. Today, Terningmoen hosts several subunits in the Norwegian Army and the Home Guard.
Elverum temporarily served as the capital of Norway at the start of the German occupation of Norway during World War II. On 9 April 1940, Norwegian troops prevented German parachute troops from capturing Norway's King Haakon, Crown Prince, and Parliament. Parliament met in Elverum to issue the Elverum Authorisation, which authorised the government-in-exile until Parliament once again could convene.
On 11 April, shortly after the government's refusal to submit to German terms, the centre of Elverum was reduced to ashes.