Forsvarssjef admiral Haakon Bruun-Hanssen overrakte sitt fagmilitære råd til Forsvarsminister Ine Eriksen Søreide under en pressekonferanse 1 oktober 2015 / Defence Chief Admiral Haakon Bruun-Hanssen handed his professional military advice to the MinisterForsvarssjef admiral Haakon Bruun-Hanssen overrakte sitt fagmilitære råd til Forsvarsminister Ine Eriksen Søreide under en pressekonferanse 1 oktober 2015 / Defence Chief Admiral Haakon Bruun-Hanssen handed his professional military advice to the Ministerhttp://forsvaret.no/media/PubImages/20151001tk-67.jpghttp://forsvaret.no/media/PubImages/Forms/DispForm.aspx?ID=3966Forsvarssjef admiral Haakon Bruun-Hanssen under presentasjonen av sitt fagmilitære råd i 2015. Foto: Torbjørn Kjosvold, Forsvarets mediesenterChief of Defence, Admiral Haakon Bruun-Hanssen, during his presentation of the Strategic Defence Review in Oslo 1 October 2015. Photo by Torbjørn Kjosvold, Norwegian Armed Forces Media Centre.

New long-term plan for the Armed Forces

On Friday 17 June, the Norwegian government presented a white paper to Parliament, describing the plan for the Norwegian Armed Forces in the years 2017–2020.

​In its new long-term plan, the Government proposes a gradual increase in the defence budget over the next four years. The 2020-level will be NOK 7.2 billion (USD 860 million) above the 2016-level. In the coming​ 20 years, the plan suggests an accumulated total of NOK 165 billion (USD 19.7 billion) in additional funding for the Norwegian Armed Forces.

​Chief of Defence, Admiral Haakon Bruun-Hanssen, says the new plan represents a significant economic boost, and that it is a right step towards a​​ ​relevant and credible defence.​

Chief of Defence​ satisfied​

The Admiral handed over his Strategic Defence Review to the Minister of Defence on 1 October 2015. Since then, Ministry of Defence has worked with its proposal for a new long-term plan. The ​work has been based on several studies, with the Strategic Defence Review being the most important.

In his review, Chief of Defence asked the Government for a further development of the Norwegian Armed Forces, including a significant increase in funding. Mr Bruun-Hanssen is satisfied with the proposed long-term plan:

"The Government proposes a modern defence of good quality, and with the ability to solve all its tasks. The long-term plan lays the foundation for a defence that can perform its role in NATO and be a credible deterrence for Norway," Mr Bruun-Hanssen said.

New investments​

Among several measures, the long-term plan proposes a series of investments in capabilities of strategic importance. This includes the acquisition of the 52 planned F-35 fighters, four new submarines to replace the current fleet, replacement of Norway's maritime patrol aircraft and​ significant investments in modern air defence systems.

Furthermore, the government proposes rationalisation and further streamlining of the Norwegian Armed Forces – including management, support and administration. It also suggests a closedown of Andøya Air Station and move the station's maritime patrolling operations to Evenes, 90 km further south. The Coastal Ranger Command is also proposed closed down, but its​​ boarding capacity will be retained and transferred to Haakonsvern in Bergen.

What happens now?

Parliament has formally received the Government's proposed long-term plan. Parliament​ is expected to debate and adopt the plan this autumn, probably in October–November.

​The new plan will come into effect from 1 January 2017.​​

​​​​​Download ​​the brochure on the long-​​​term plan here (PDF)​​​​​​​

Published 30 June 2016 14:52. by the Norwegian Armed Forces Media Centre. Last updated 01 July 2016 10:38.