How can Northern European nations find ways to make regional defence cooperation strategic rather than ad hoc? To answer this question, the seminar offered introductions from different perspectives by authors from a new RUSI Whitehall Paper, Security in Northern Europe, which focuses on 'hard' security in the Wider North.
The second part of the seminar consisted of a keynote address by Vice Admiral Clive CC Johnstone, Commander of NATO's Allied Maritime Command (MARCOM) in Northwood, UK. The Admiral talked about his new responsibilities and current challenges in the North Atlantic, followed by a Q&A session.
The seminar was organised by the research programme Security and Defence in Northern Europe, Norwegian Defence University College/Norwegian Institute for Defence Studies (IFS), and took place in Oslo Military Society.
- Prof. Kjell Inge Bjerga, director IFS
Introduction of the book
- Col Prof. John Andreas Olsen
Presentations by the authors
- 'The Nordic Region', Pol. Dir Svein Efjestad, Norwegian Ministry of Defence
- 'The UK and the Northern Group', Prof. Peter Roberts, Royal United Services Institute
- 'Netherlands Defence and Security Policy', Prof. Frans Osinga, Netherlands Defence Academy
- 'The High North', Prof. Rolf Tamnes, Norwegian Institute for Defence Studies
Panel discussion and Q&A
· VAdm Clive CC Johnstone, NATO Maritime Command