Aim and purpose
UNCM provides the participants with the tools and knowledge to support a ceasefire mediation process, taking into account their multifaceted nature in terms of content, context and actors.
After completing the course, participants will be able to
- Be familiar with basis mediation
- Describe the ceasefire definitions, typologies and component
- Be able to advice on planning a ceasefire negotiation
- Understand the fundamentals of implementation
- Be able to explain how to mainstream cross-cutting issues throughout a ceasefire process
Applicants should preferably
- Have some knowledge or experience of international peace mediation, though no experience/knowledge of ceasefire mediation is necessary
- Be personnel working at the UN, member state entities, international and regional organisations, and Civil Society/NGOs on ceasefire mediation
Open by special invitation only
Students must be proficient in oral and written English (equivalent to: NATO STANAG 6001/ 3-2-3-2). No translation service will be available.
We open for application no later than 3 months before the course starts. The deadline for applications is normally 8 weeks before the course starts.
Please check dates in our course schedule.