This year's conference will explore the value of science in military education. We dig into the sub-sciences of Military Sciences in an attempt to describe, understand and explain how science can illuminate various aspects of military organisations as well as contribute to prepare the military organisation for the life and tasks of conducting military operations.
The 2017 ISMS conference is organised round nine topics:
- War Studies
- Military History
- Military Technology
- Command and Control, Leadership and Basic Competence
- Law & Ethics
- Security, Defence Policy and Strategy
- Armed Forces and Society
- Defence Economics and Management
- Military Education.
The conference has received more than 100 paper abstracts (from 25 countries) that are undergoing assessment. There will be full panels and a huge variety of topics covered for anyone interested in military issues. We look forward to update you with a detaile programme ultimo September/primo October on the panels.
(More on fees and accomodation further down on this page)
Deadline for signing up: 15 October 2017.
What is International Society of Military Sciences (ISMS)?
The purpose of this organisation is to build a network for the creation, development, exchange and diffusion of research and knowledge about war, conflict management and peace support efforts. The society has established an annual conference, and one or more workshops per year.
The annual conferences are hosted by a different member institution each year. Last year, the Polish War Studies University organised the conference. This year, it is the Norwegian Defence University College.
- Austrian National Defence Academy
- Baltic Defence College
- Royal Military College of Canada
- Royal Danish Defence College
- Finnish National Defence University
- Netherlands Defence Academy
- Norwegian Defence University College
- Polish War Studies University
- Swedish National Defence College.
The purpose of ISMS is to contribute to the academic development and exchange of relevant research between the nine colleges. Over time the intention is to develop the Society into a cross-national collaboration supporting the core tasks of each college, including faculty development, joint R&D projects, curriculum and literature.
(detailed programme: ultimo September/primo October)
WEDNESDAY 15 NOVEMBER
Young Scholars Workshop
15 November, 10.00–17.00, The Oslo Congress Center, Youngs gate 21.
A one-day workshop for young scholars getting engaged in the field of Military Sciences.
- Academic career building and promotion
- Publication of articles and books
- Research grants and funding
- Initiating and maintaining research ties with the armed forces
To learn more, go to Call for Participation.
Teaching Culture Conference organised and hosted by the Norwegian Military Academy (go to separate event homepage)
15 November, 19.00, Oslo Militære Samfund (Oslo Military Society), Myntgata 3 (right outside the Akershus Fortress). Conference registration.
Thursday 16 November
Military Sciences – The Backbone of Military Educational Institutions?
The International Society for Military Sciences Annual Conference 2017, organised and hosted by the Norwegian Defence University College (NDUC) in Oslo.
09.00–17.00, (registration from 08.00). The Oslo Congress Center, Youngs gate 21.
Detailed programme: ultimo September/primo October
- Welcome by the Commandant of NDUC, Rear Admiral Louise K. Dedichen
- Opening address by the president of ISMS, Major/Senior Fellow Anders Mcdonald Sookermany
- Keynote speech
- Parallel working group session 1
- Parallel working group session 2
19.00–22.00, Fanehallen/Artilleriloftet (The Artillery Loft). Entrance opposite the Defence Museum, Akershus Fortress.
Friday 17 November
08.00–17.00. The Oslo Congress Center, Youngs gate 21.
Detailed programme ultimo September/primo October
- Parallel working group session 3
- Parallel working group session 4
- Parallel working group session 5
- Concluding remarks by the working groups chairs
- Closing remarks by the president of ISMS, Major/Senior Fellow Anders Mcdonald Sookermany
Registration and conference fee
Deadline for signing up: 15 October 2017.
By signing up the participants agree to pay (in accordance with the Charter for ISMS article 5 §11) a share for the catering and dinner of NOK 1000 by credit card (VISA or MasterCard). Details will follow in the programme to be issued in ultimo September/primo October.
Out of town participants in need of arrival information and accommodation in Oslo, please go to the ISMS website and the 2017 conference page.