(b. 1961) Member of the IFS staff since 1994.
Rolf Hobson received a Cand.Mag. from the University of Oslo 1986 and continued his studies at Heinrich-Heine-Universität, Dusseldorf, 1988–1993. He had a doctoral research grant at University of Trondheim, 1990–1993, where he obtained his Dr.Art. in 1998. Hobson carried out project research in Paris, 2000–2003 and was adjunct professor at the Centre for the Study of Holocaust and Religious Minorities in Oslo, 2004–2007. In 2009–2010 he spent his sabbatical at Institut für Zeitgeschichte, Munich.
Rolf Hobson is a visiting professor at the University of Bergen, 2011–2021. At present he is engaged as researcher on the project «In a World of Total War: Norway 1939-1945» under the aegis of the University of Tromsø, 2018-2020. The project is funded by the Research Council of Norway.
Fields of interest
- First and Second World War
- war commemoration
- Norwegian and European military history
- German history in the 19th and 20th century
Rolf Hobson's selected publications in English and German
- 2004. Maritimer Imperialismus. Seestrategisches Denken, Seemachtsideologie und der Tirpitzplan, 1875–1914. Munich: Oldenbourg.
- 2002. Imperialism at Sea. Naval Strategic Thought, the Ideology of Sea Power and the Tirpitz Plan, 1875–1914. Boston: Brill.