Dr Katarzyna Zysk is associate professor at the Norwegian Institute for Defence Studies, where she serves as Head of Research. In the academic year 2016–17, she was visiting scholar at the Center for International Security and Cooperation (CISAC) at Stanford University and subsequently visiting research fellow at the Changing Character of War Programme at the University of Oxford. She is also a member of the Hoover Institution's Arctic Security Initiative at Stanford University and was research fellow (resident and non-resident) at the Center for Naval Warfare Studies of the US Naval War College, where she also cooperated with the War Gaming Department. In 2016, she served as acting dean of the Norwegian Defence University College.
Zysk has an academic background in international relations and international history. Following her PhD thesis on NATO enlargement (2006, Nicholas Copernicus University in Torun), her research has focused on security and strategic studies, in particular Russia's security and defense policies, military strategy, modern military through, military change and modernization of the Russian armed forces, strategic culture, geopolitics in the Arctic, as well as Russia's naval power, and maritime security. Currently she is working on a project on Russia's military strategy.
Language competence: English, Norwegian, Polish, French, and Russian.
Fields of interest
- Russia, security and defence
- modern military thought
- the Russian Navy
- Arctic geopolitics
- maritime security
- NATO and transatlantic relations
- Northern Europe, security and defence
- international security
- military strategy
Katarzyna Zysk'S Selected Publications
- 2015. "Managing Military Change in Russia". In Security, Strategy and Military change in the 21st Century: Cross-Regional Perspectives, p. 155–177. Routledge.
- 2012. "Russia's Naval Ambitions: Driving Forces and Constraints". In Twenty-First Century Seapower: Cooperation and Conflict at Sea, p. 112–135. Routledge.
- 2011. "Military Aspects of Russia's Arctic Policy: Hard Power and Natural Resources". In Arctic Security in an Age of Climate Change, p. 85–106. Cambridge University Press.
For a complete list of Zysks publications, lectures and media appearances: https://www.cristin.no/as/WebObjects/cristin.woa/2/wa/personVis?type=PERSON&pnr=59517&la=en&instnr=1627